Thread: Skeletonizing Large Model

Skeletonizing Large Model

I received an InfoWater model from a new client. The model has over 7,000 pipes. However, my license for InfoWater is limited to 3,000 pipes. Is it possible to run Skeletonizer to reduce the pipe count in this situation? After I open the file, I cannot even initiate the project to access the InfoWater Menu and run Skeletonizer.

Innovyze Employee

Yes, Skeletonizer can reduce the pipe number.

What is the error message after you hit initialization?

ERROR: Invalid License: the current project contains 7306 links and has exceeded the limit imposed by this version (3000 links).
    Project initialization failed.
    Last edited by Jim Hampson; January 27, 2014 at 02:14 PM.

Innovyze Employee

This warning message tells that the model has much more links than the license limit. It might be necessary for the model's provider to do skeletonization.

I was preparing a proposal for some modeling for a client. The client does not have the modeling software and is therefore unable to skeletonize the model.

I was disappointed to find that InfoWater does not allow skeletonizing if the model pipe count exceeds the licensed number of pipes. I have used Bentley WaterCAD in this situation, and it allows one to open and view the model, but not solve. However, it does allow one to skeletonize a model that has more pipes than the license amount. Once the number of pipes is within the license limit, it will solve.

I was unable to submit a proposal because of this limitation.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Jim,

From what I recall Innovyze products were similar in being able to open but not run models with more pipes than the license allowed up until around 2008 or 2009. I recall when I enquired about the change that I was told that it was changed due to software licensing issues and the change closed a loophole that allowed personnel to run the software without a license. Currently you cant initialize a model unless your pipe license exceeds the pipes in the model.

However, I can pass this feature request on to management to see if it might be possible to at least allow the skeletonizer tool to be accessed in a situation like this. I can't promise the feature will get added, but I certainly understand the desire to have such a feature available and will pass the request on the development team who reviews and makes decisions on feature requests.

One other option to consider is to upgrade. Innovyze will allow a customer to upgrade the total number of links and just pay the cost difference between the software pipe license they own and the license cost for the upgrade. The software is typically licensed in 1000's of pipes but the cost to upgrade is a lot less that buying a new license and may be something you may wish to consider. The additional cost would be in the difference associated with the annual maintenance between the two versions. In some cases this may not even impact your annual maintenance cost as there are generally only a few tiers of maintenance costs that span the range of licenses. If you would like to know more about upgrade options contact our sales team at sales-americas@innovyze.com and they can explain the different options that are available to you.

Innovyze Support