Thread: Isolating Map Display to the Domain Only

Isolating Map Display to the Domain Only

I have addressed this issues with Innovyze staff at ACE but have yet to hear about a solution. When using the InfoWater map display to show simulation results in the distribution system, I am unable to isolate the map display to be shown only to a domain. This can be very frustrating when creating deliverables for clients as a significant amount of time is spent to manipulate the map to make it more presentable. Has anyone else had this same frustration or developed a good work around?

Michael Quamme
    Fargo, ND

Innovyze Employee

Hello MikeQ,
    I assume you have used the Show Domain Only in Map Display but perhaps if you turn of the flag for showing Inactive Elements you will not see the Map Display for inactive elements. You can also use the TOC in Arc Map to turn on or turn off elements.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Bob Dickinson

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dickinson View Post
    Hello MikeQ,
    I assume you have used the Show Domain Only in Map Display but perhaps if you turn of the flag for showing Inactive Elements you will not see the Map Display for inactive elements. You can also use the TOC in Arc Map to turn on or turn off elements.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Bob Dickinson
    I think you may have misinterpreted my first post, I am referring to the map display function in InfoWater which does not have a Domain Only option (like H2OMap Water does). For example, if I wanted to display the pressure results for a simulation run only on the hydrants, I create a domain of my hydrants and then use the Map Display function to color code my pressure classes. The problem with this is that it will not apply only to my domain but to all junctions, which is where the problem arises as this looks quite sloppy and cluttered.

Michael Quamme
    Fargo, ND

Innovyze Employee

Mike,
    Yesterday, I talked with the person that developed the feature in H2OMAP Water (the option of "Apply to Domain Only" in Map Display). To my best knowledge, InfoWater's Map Display interacts with ArcMap's feature layer to color code features in the map view. If the option of "Apply to Domain Only" is on, the existing features with no domain value would disappear (I guess that ArcMap does not know what color to use in drawing those existing features not in the domain). Combining with facility operation (facility manager), it becomes much more complex, and causes more confusion.

Here is one way of doing this. Perhaps later I will post about exhibit mapping for making this more seamless. Still only takes a few minutes.

1. Make a custom field in the Junction Information DB table called FF (or whatever)
    2. Run a Fireflow analysis
    3. Select junctions to be themed and labeled into the domain
    4. Open the domain attribute editor
    5. Copy the desired results (say available fireflow) from the results column into the FF column
    6. Open the entire Junction Information table
    7. Sort on FF, and block edit all blank values to 0
    a. In the future, you may delete all values in this field after step 2
    8. Save the model
    9. Join all layer tables
    10. Set the layer symbology as follows (this assumes the available fireflow will never be exactly zero, which should be ok as exactly 0 is highly unlikely). Then setup any colors / symbols / labels desired.
    ScreenHunter_28 Jan. 03 13.42.jpg
    11. Go to the labels tab
    12. Check ‘label features in this layer’ on the top left
    13. Next add 2 classes (press ‘Add’), I called one FF and the other NO_FF
    14. With FF selected (selected when shown in pickbox), press SQL Query and apply the Query
    "FF" <> 0
    15. With NO_FF selected (selected when shown in pickbox), press SQL Query and apply the Query
    "FF" = 0
    16. For the ‘default’ and NO_FF classes (select using pick box) just ensure ‘label features in this class’ is unchecked
    17. For the FF class make sure ‘label features in this class’ is checked on
    18. Lastly, choose symbol settings

I believe this is what you are after:
    ScreenHunter_29 Jan. 03 13.47.jpg