Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Equivalent to a Hotstart file?

  1. #1

    Equivalent to a Hotstart file?

    I am new to InfoWorks CS and I was simply wondering if there is an equivalent to EPA SWMM's Hotstart file.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Innovyze Employee



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    146
    Hello William,
    The equivalent of a SWMM 5 Hotstart file in IWCS or ICM is the option to save the final or timed state as the initial state for subsequent runs. The IWCS solution process actually includes an initialisation process automatically in its solution.

    State saving Select an option for saving network state to be used as the initial state for subsequent runs:

    • Do not save state - do not save state information
    • Save state at end of simulation - preserve the state of the network at the end of the simulation for use in a subsequent run
    • Save state at time-date: - preserve the state of the network at the time-date specified for use in a subsequent run. (This option can not be used when using relative times.)
      Note that the state of the network will be saved at the first run timestep at or before the time specified. (A warning message will be output to the results log if the save state time does not coincide with the run timestep.)

      Regards,
      Bob Dickinson

  3. #3

    COM Interface

    I am searching but having trouble finding this. Is it possible to do this from the InfoWorks COM interface?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dickinson View Post
    Hello William,
    The equivalent of a SWMM 5 Hotstart file in IWCS or ICM is the option to save the final or timed state as the initial state for subsequent runs. The IWCS solution process actually includes an initialisation process automatically in its solution.

    State saving Select an option for saving network state to be used as the initial state for subsequent runs:

    • Do not save state - do not save state information
    • Save state at end of simulation - preserve the state of the network at the end of the simulation for use in a subsequent run
    • Save state at time-date: - preserve the state of the network at the time-date specified for use in a subsequent run. (This option can not be used when using relative times.)
      Note that the state of the network will be saved at the first run timestep at or before the time specified. (A warning message will be output to the results log if the save state time does not coincide with the run timestep.)

      Regards,
      Bob Dickinson

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Innovyze Employee



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    146

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by William Riley View Post
    I am searching but having trouble finding this. Is it possible to do this from the InfoWorks COM interface?
    Hello William,
    The Run Simulation Dialog has an option to save the initaiisation file. It is saved using the checkbox "Save Final State at End of Simulation" Once you save it then you can use it again using the option "Always use Initial State without re-initialisation"

    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Bob Dickinson

  5. #5

    Strange conversion

    Thank you so much for your help in this matter.

    I have yet another question. When I import a Rainfall event into CS, it is dividing my values by 25.4 automatically. However if I export it, it comes back out normal.

    My import data is in inches, and InfoWorks is set to use inches. Why is it doing this conversion?

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Innovyze Employee



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by William Riley View Post
    Thank you so much for your help in this matter.

    I have yet another question. When I import a Rainfall event into CS, it is dividing my values by 25.4 automatically. However if I export it, it comes back out normal.

    My import data is in inches, and InfoWorks is set to use inches. Why is it doing this conversion?

    Hello William,
    Is the header of the CSV Rainfall file have mm/hr at the top (as shown in the snippet below? You mention that it is inches and the you are using either MGD or Cubic Feet as your Geoplan Units in the Options dialog. I am able to import MM/HR and Export MM/HR using SI units and import IN/HR and Export IN/HR with USA units. I am using IWCS 14.5 - are you using an older version of IWCS?
    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Bob Dickinson

    FILECONT, TITLE
    0,
    UserSettings,U_ARD,U_EVAP,U_VALUES,U_DATETIME
    UserSettingsValues,mm,mm/day,mm/hr,mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm
    G_START,G_TS,G_NPROFILES,G_UCWI,G_ARD,G_EVAP,G_WI
    00/00/0000 00:00,1800,1,0000000000, 10, 0,00000
    L_UCWI,L_ARD,L_ARF,L_EVAP,L_WI,L_PTITLE,L_ADD
    0000000000,10,00000001.0,0,00000, ,
    P_DATETIME,1

  7. #7

    RE: Strange Conversion

    I was actually working with the "RED" file format, as it seems to be the only accepted file format when importing a "Rainfall Event" through the C# Com Interface for InfoWorks. I have had success with keeping my numbers correct in CSV format, however the COM will not successfully import a CSV. It seems to work with "RED" only. Unfortunately, there aren't any specifications for units in the "RED" file.

    Therefore, I am left with the theory that it assumes "Native" units, and converts for you. Perhaps I will have to write the "RED" file in mm/hr and convert from there.

    Any opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dickinson View Post
    Hello William,
    Is the header of the CSV Rainfall file have mm/hr at the top (as shown in the snippet below? You mention that it is inches and the you are using either MGD or Cubic Feet as your Geoplan Units in the Options dialog. I am able to import MM/HR and Export MM/HR using SI units and import IN/HR and Export IN/HR with USA units. I am using IWCS 14.5 - are you using an older version of IWCS?
    I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Bob Dickinson

    FILECONT, TITLE
    0,
    UserSettings,U_ARD,U_EVAP,U_VALUES,U_DATETIME
    UserSettingsValues,mm,mm/day,mm/hr,mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm
    G_START,G_TS,G_NPROFILES,G_UCWI,G_ARD,G_EVAP,G_WI
    00/00/0000 00:00,1800,1,0000000000, 10, 0,00000
    L_UCWI,L_ARD,L_ARF,L_EVAP,L_WI,L_PTITLE,L_ADD
    0000000000,10,00000001.0,0,00000, ,
    P_DATETIME,1
    Last edited by William Riley; June 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •