Thread: Surge Tanks

Question Surge Tanks

Some of our Reservoirs have Surge Tanks. In which Feature Class would these be placed? I recall my past work with InfoWater (yes, it's been awhile) put these in a Tank Feature Class (different from Reservoirs Feature Class).
    Tim Hayes
    GIS Manager
    City of San Jose Municipal Water System
    San Jose-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Tim,

For a typical water model that most people use, the surge control devices are not needed as the model is used for steady operating conditions rather than transient events.

Again, what you choose to include in your model is really up to you, but these would not be necessary for anything except for a transient analysis model.

If you do include surge tanks within the model, they would generally be represented by some sort of Tank as they are not a water source, but a storage device, but, these are not often similar to the primary water storage tanks in the water system (bladder tanks, pressurized tanks) and would likely need a little creativity to include in the water model as the EPANET engine used by InfoWater and InfoWater Pro does not have typically have something that can easily represent these elements.

Since they do not represent much volume, not including them rarely will have much impact in most water models.

If you use your model to build a surge model with InfoSurge, these are added as a special feature associated with junctions and do not have a specific model element that represent them anyway.

Patrick Moore

Quote Originally Posted by sewermapguy View Post
    Some of our Reservoirs have Surge Tanks. In which Feature Class would these be placed? I recall my past work with InfoWater (yes, it's been awhile) put these in a Tank Feature Class (different from Reservoirs Feature Class).