Thread: Fire Hydrants

Fire Hydrants

Hello,

I have set up a model network already setup.

After I imported the fire hydrants, I noticed that they are connected onto the pipelines of my network. Is there a quick way for me to perform the "move node" function on all of the hydrants and split the pipelines?

It would take way too much time for me to manually move each hydrant onto the pipeline and clicking split link etc.

Thanks

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Jack,

This is a bit difficult to properly answer without more information or without an image of what your hydrants and node elements look like. If you can post an image example of what your situation looks like it would help provide a much more appropriate answer.

However, here are some initial thoughts:
    1) I looked you up in our system and it appears you have an active infoCare. Please feel free to email us at support@innovyze.com as we can often do a Webex and both look at your data or at least talk on the phone which can often best clarify your questions for you, so don't forget this is always open to you with an active InfoCare subscription.

2) Does your model include nodes on the mainlines that represent the "tee" where the hydrant stub is tied to?
    If so you generally want to associate your hydrants to these elements by either adding the hydrant stubs and connecting these to your hydrant elements. This will add at least one pipe to your model at a minimum or perhaps two as most GIS has an isolation valve splitting the lateral into two pipes. It would be up to you whether to just associate your hydrants with the appropriate node element on the main or not or to add the lateral line that connects to your hydrant. If your model and your GIS were built form the same dataset this is usually as simple as adding the missing elements to the model.
    3) Does the model have no element where the hydrant stub tee connects to the main? Or is your model and GIS not exactly lining up properly?
    This obviously is a much trickier situation as you do not have perfect alignment with your GIS and model or at least need to split mains to "connect" a hydrant to the main lines closer than to the nearest node. If you simply associate the hydrant to the closest pipe via GIS in a spatial join (Note you can do this in InfoWater SA UDF (and regular InfoWater), but it will only split the pipes "virtually". If you need to do this permanently this might be difficult if you are using just an SA product as the limited ESRI engine license will not allow you full access to ArcGIS editing tools like a regular ArcGIS license will. THe UDF tool and potentially some GIS tools can allow you to draw a strait perpendicular line to the nearest main this might get "pretty close" for most elements, but you may have to correct a few things that associate to the wrong element.

​Example Virtual Hydrant laterals created by InfoWater UDF and InfoWater SA UDF
    (click if need a larger image)
    UDF virtual Hydrant Laterals.png

As you can see it will draw virtual hydrant laterals, but it only splits the mains "virtually" but this is useful for UDF purposes as the actual expected flow out of the hydrant will be impacted by the actual lateral used. But these virtual connections are not usable in the model for other purposes like running fireflow, they are only available for the UDF analysis but it gives you a sense of what essentially you might want to do.

If you have access to a GIS platform that can run a spatial join and and have it draw perpendicular lines to the closest pipe.

This page can give some insight to this, but please note this is not a feature you can do in the model software itself: https://gis.stackexchange.com/questi...r-using-arcmap

There is also a nice ESRI tool you can read about here that is perfect for this:
    https://gis.stackexchange.com/questi...-existing-line

Link to Free tool: http://solutions.arcgis.com/utilitie...twork-editing/
    I would suspect the ESRI tools or something similar for your GIS data is what you would need to do this.

Modeling wise if you need to split a pipe with a node you want to use the Pipe Split Candidate tool, which is found in the InfoWater menu-> utilities-> Network Review menu or if in InfoWater SA it is on the Tool Ribbon under the locate-Fix dropdown.

Just remember a few things:

1) It is best to check for nodes in close proximity before fixing pipe split candidates. If two junctions are found in the pipe split tool search range it can cause oddities to occur when running the tool geometry, We highly recommend you check for nodes in close proximity and resolve all found before using this tool especially if you choose to fix several pipe splits at once.

2) When a pipe split is run, the software assumes the node location is correct and moves the pipe to the node. If your nodes are in the wrong location you should move these to the pipe with the move node tool. NOTE: there is no easy tool to move multiple elements at once directly in the software. If you need to do this it is best to export these nodes to a shapefile, edit their geometry using GIS tools and then update the geometry back in the model by reimporting the elements and using a GIS gateway update cluster with geometry updates or a update in the import manager of shapefile elements.

Generally any issue like you have is best addressed in GIS and then you re import the elements into the model.

Since this is a somewhat complicated request. Please consider emailing us at support@innovyze.com for more direct assistance.

Patrick Moore
    Last edited by Patrick Moore; May 16, 2019 at 08:53 AM.