Thread: Replicate a field fire flow

Replicate a field fire flow

I am trying to replicate a field fire flow. After matching boundary conditions in terms of system demand, pumps status and tank levels, I compared actual flow and residual pressure observed in the field with the model results. The static pressures in the model and field test are quite similar, however there is a huge difference in pressure between the model results and field test results for flows > 0 L/s. The model results for different flows (0-20 L/s) is consistent (300kPa), whereas for example @ 15L/s of field flow the recorded pressure is 0kPa. I would be grateful if anybody could help me to sort out the issue. Thanks

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Hassan,

Here are somethreads on the User forums that may be useful to you on things to look at:

If the boundary conditions are good, you may potentially have a closed or partially closed pipe in the field or a connectivity issue in the model. See the hydrant flow calibration thread for more detail.

Patrick Moore
    Last edited by Patrick Moore; January 28, 2019 at 10:43 AM.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Hassan,

If you have an active InfoCare with Innovyze you can also reach out to the technical support team at support@innovyze.com for assistance as well. While we can only provide guidance as far as how to use tools in the model, we can often provide guidance of what you might look for. This can be helpful if you need assistance knowing how to find and resolve connectivity issues in the model.

I provided some additional updates to the Hydrant Flow test forum link (see above) though for things we would consider. For any Hydrant flow calibration it is very important to make sure all boundary conditions match as this can have a significant impact on the results.

As noted in the updated link (http://forums.innovyze.com/threads/490-InfoWater-Fire-Flow-amp-Fire-Flow-Test-results-Please-Help! (NOTE: we added additional content to this post on 1-28-19) Once you have verified boundary conditions (demands, what tank levels are, and what boosters and wells are running) are consistent you can generally look strongly at the Pressure drop seen in the field vs. in the model and get a sense of where to look.

If the pressure drop in the field >> than the model, this is often a good indicator of a closed or partially closed valve(s) in the field. If the Model Pressure Drop >> than the field, this is usually a good indicator that there is one or more significant connectivity issues in the model between the water source and the flow test. Just make sure if you change something in the model it is reasonable to change, and if it really was what was wrong then the change should fit with all flow tests completed. See the links above for things to consider.

Generally things like this are what you find when calibrating is why calibrating a model is so valuable as it identifies issues that otherwise might not be noticed.

Patrick Moore