Thread: Importing from EPANET

Importing from EPANET

Hello,

I am working on importing some systems from EPANET import files into InfoWater, and I am having issues importing tanks and pumps. When the system is imported, tanks are being imported as reservoirs. Additionally pumps are being imported with junctions on top of them which prevents me from being able to select the pump to view/change its properties. I have been working around this so far by hiding the junction layer whenever I need to select a pump, but I would prefer to use a better method if one exists.

Does anyone know how I can resolve my issues with the tanks or pumps?

Thanks,

Cole Scogin

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Cole,

Is this a model exported from WaterGEMS? They put the "hidden" nodes that InfoWater and WaterGEMS use to convert links to "point" elements, but you will always see these when the model is exported to EPANET.

Certain exports can sometimes get the Tanks and Reservoir elements can sometimes have issues in an export. The good news is you can always open an "filename.inp" EPANET file in notepad or other text editor. Tank and reservoir data is stored as follows in EPANET:

[RESERVOIRS]
    101 100.000000 ;Water Treatment Plant
    ID Head ; (EPANET Tag text that will import to a description)

[TANKS]
    103 320.000000 44.000000 10.000000 50.000000 50.000000 0.000000 ;New Cylindrical Tank
    ID elevation Initial Level Min Level Max Level Diameter min volume ; (EPANET Tag text that will import to a description)

You can check the EPANET file to make sure the elements got exported correctly. If they are not just put the elements that are truly reservoirs into the [RESERVOIRS] section in the format specified above.

This excerpt is from a help document we provide to those who are converting a WaterGEMS model to get rid of the hidden nodes on top of each pump or valve. But make sure to verify that the remaining pipes that will connect to the pump and valve are drawn in the direction of flow as this is how infowater infers the pump/valve direction.
    (click if need a larger image)
    Attachment 566

If you have an active InfoCare contract and still need further assistance please reach out to us on our main technical support email and one of our staff an better assist you:

Support Email: support@innovyze.com
    Support Phone (in the US) : 626-568-6869

Patrick Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Scogin View Post
    Hello,

I am working on importing some systems from EPANET import files into InfoWater, and I am having issues importing tanks and pumps. When the system is imported, tanks are being imported as reservoirs. Additionally pumps are being imported with junctions on top of them which prevents me from being able to select the pump to view/change its properties. I have been working around this so far by hiding the junction layer whenever I need to select a pump, but I would prefer to use a better method if one exists.

Does anyone know how I can resolve my issues with the tanks or pumps?

Thanks,

Cole Scogin