Thread: Update Conduit Slopes

Update Conduit Slopes

I searched and didn't see this covered anywhere. It seems so intuitive that the software would have this, so maybe I am missing something.

When you adjust the location of a Node (manhole) the conduit length updates accordingly, but not the slope.

When I adjust manhole locations and inverts from my as-built plans, I have to go back and figure out my slope by hand to enter into the Information section.

This seems like extra work that the software could just update automatically.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Hello Steve,
    What Innovyze software are you using? I suspect InfoSWMM and if that is true I have these comments:
    1. The slope is calculated by the engine based on the HEC-RAS formula
    2. The calculated slope is shown in the conduit summary tables and also the attribute browser output section
    3. You do not need to calculate the slope.
    Regards,
    Robert Dickinson

Sorry, yes InfoSWMM. When I look in the attribute browser, I see slope listed under "Information" which apparently isn't calculated. I have no data under the "Output". I am updating a fresh conversion from Bentley WaterCAD so I haven't run any scenarios yet, so I guess that why I don't have any data there.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Hello Steve, the inverts and not the slope is actually used during the simulation. The slope is just used to calculate Qfull for the output references. The slope is not calculated until you run the model. Regards, Robert Dickinson

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

The relationship between the upstream and downstream node invert and offset elevations, the input conduit length and the slope used in the SWMM 5 simulation are shown below
    2018-10-21_1013.png

Okay - thanks.