Thread: Newly drawn pipes & junctions in an existing model are not displayed

Newly drawn pipes & junctions in an existing model are not displayed

Hello. I have a couple questions regarding new elements not being displayed on InfoSWMM.

I have an large existing infoSWMM model created by somebody else in which I need to add parallel pipes to run different scenarios. I am able to draw these elements, run new scenarios, and obtain results. When the file is opened the next day these elements are not being displayed but they are still listed in their attribute tables. I found a way around this issue which is to draw an additional pipe and manhole for the previously added items to show up.

Is there a reason why these elements disappear? And how does drawing additional items makes them appear? Thank you for your help.

Carlos

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Carlos,

There are a couple of possibilities of what could be occurring and it's difficult to say without actually seeing your model. If you have access to technical support with an active InfoCare Contract you can send your model over to Support@innovyze.com and we can much more easily identify what is occurring. If you do go this route please mention this forum link when contacting us. You can copy the forum link by copying the address in the browser when in this thread into your email.

As a quick answer though, can you check the following?

Possibility #1: You may also have some type of map Display on that could restrict the ability to show new elements if those elements have not information. Can you hit the reset display icon (looks like a blue arrow over a yellow painters palate) to reset the display?

Possibility #2: Does your model use a query set in the facility you are adding elements to? If so, are your new elements set up to get selected by that query set? If not they would appear when you add elements but could disappear when you reopen the model because they are made inactive.

Try switching to the base scenario and see if the elements appear, if they do then it has to do with your scenario facility definition that is hiding the elements. Look at what is defining what is active in the scenario "facility Tab". If it is a query set being used what fields are used to query active elements? Make sure new elements have those field values added or they would not get selected and would show as inactive.

Possibility #3 If you are using an older version of ArcGIS (Arc 10.2 and lower usually) and your Model spatial projection and the "LAYER" spatial projection get off this can also cause elements to draw in unexpected locations. Reapplying the model spatial projection in the Project - change project spatial projection will usually fix this, but you may need to redraw elements redrawn when these were different.

Possibility #4 You may also have possibly gotten something that corrupted your Map file and you may need to rebuild the model database and Map file. We can walk you through this procedure if needed.

Please feel free to reply here or to contact us at our main support email if you still are having issues.

Patrick Moore
    Last edited by Patrick Moore; June 18, 2018 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks Patrick. The reset display button or the map display options did not fix it, our ArcMap version is newer than 10.2, and the file is not corrupted. So I narrowed the issue down to something related to possibility #2. Some fields in the new elements were empty but I input the correct data set information, it did not help either. Even though these elements are not visible it seems they can still be added to a domain, facility, HGL profile, etc. For now I will keep drawing and deleting an extra pipe and junction for the new elements to appear.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Carlos,

What I would recommend is to contact us at Support@innovyze.com and we can send you a link to upload your model. Because there can be a few things that can cause model unusual behavior at times, its easier to troubleshoot it by looking at the model or running a WebEx with you.

I looked you up in our system and you do have an active InfoCare valid through November of this year, So I will drop you an email directly where you can upload your model and we can investigate further.

Patrick Moore

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Hi,I wonder if using the utility update Map from DB / Force All Netowrk will also help Carlos?

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Just for the benefit of the forum the issue was resolved by running the following routines on this users model:

Please run the following routines in your model and it should fix your issue. All routines are in the InfoSWMM menu

1. Utilities Database – Reindex
    2. Utilities Database- Pack
    3. Utilities Database – Clean
    4. Utilities -> Update Map form Database – Force All Network

Using these routines I was able to get all of the elements to appear properly. It appears something caused an issue with the index and it was causing things to not appear properly. These routines will fix the index issue and clear out the database of elements that have been deleted and will redraw the network properly.

Patrick Moore

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Moore View Post
    Just for the benefit of the forum the issue was resolved by running the following routines on this users model:

Please run the following routines in your model and it should fix your issue. All routines are in the InfoSWMM menu

1. Utilities Database – Reindex
    2. Utilities Database- Pack
    3. Utilities Database – Clean
    4. Utilities -> Update Map form Database – Force All Network

Using these routines I was able to get all of the elements to appear properly. It appears something caused an issue with the index and it was causing things to not appear properly. These routines will fix the index issue and clear out the database of elements that have been deleted and will redraw the network properly.

Patrick Moore
    Thank you Patrick. For others in the future a
    Reindex
    helps resolve Map vs DB Mapping problems.

Reindex -The Reindex Database command reconstructs internal database table indexes. This command is recommended when you use applications external to InfoSewer /InfoSWMM (such as custom GIS or relational database programs) to populate and/or maintain InfoSewer/InfoSWMM database tables.