Thread: Orifice Control Curve

Orifice Control Curve

Hi,
    I have an orifice control curve that's based on the depths at an upstream storage tank. The idea is that when the tank depth rises it uses the curve to resemble the operation of a downstream motorized gate which is an orifice in the model. The gate is to start in the open position (curve setting=1.0) and begin to close as the depths increase, but never fully close. The problem I've noticed is that the gate does completely close even though the curve shouldn't allow it to!

Looking for some ideas to why this might be happening? I've included a picture of the curve and the orifice graph-setting & flow.

Curve.jpg OrificeGraph-Setting.jpg OrificeGraph-Flow.jpg

Another thing that I'm having trouble trying to explain is that although the gate is closing I'm seeing volumes downstream. Why?

Thanks for the help.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Hello Shawn,
    I think i answered you by email many years ago but there is a time lag for the opening and closeing of the orifices in SWMM5 which may explain your observations in InfoSWMM.
    Regards,
    Robert Dickinson
    Innovyze Inc.

Hi Robert,
    Yes, I think it was an email or we talked on the phone about it. Thanks for following up.