Thread: Maximum Volume

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Maximum Volume

I feel like I'm missing something in InfoSWMM here. I ran into a problem trying to determine storage volume required at a pump station. I have flow entering a storage node, which is then pumped out at a constant rate. I make the storage node some arbitrarily large size then run the model. I look at the Storage Volume Summary Report and see the reported Maximum Volume in MG. This should be the volume that I will need to storage for the given inflow hydrograph and outflow pump rate. I then convert that to cubic feet and divide by the depth of my storage tank to get the cross sectional area required at the top and bottom of the storage tank to hold that Maximum Volume. I then re-run with the storage resized to check that it indeed does not flood and I see that the Maximum Volume has changed. There is no flooding to account for this. So if the inflows are the same and the pump rate is the same, why does the Maximum Volume in the Storage change, depending on the cross sectional area of the storage? I'm missing something. I need to determine a storage volume required. I recreated this with just a simple model to replicate the problem and eliminate any other issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files