Thread: Trouble Importing - "no domain defined in the field"

Trouble Importing - "no domain defined in the field"

New Infowater user here. I looked but couldn't find this specific issue on the forums or helpfile.

I am trying to import a pipe network from a shapefile containing basic line work and pipe characteristics using the Import Network tool through the InfoWater Model Builder.

When I try to set the Pressure Zone Field to the corresponding field in my shapefile (PressureZo), I get the error "WARNING: There is no domain defined in the field 'PressureZo'." and I can't import my network. I'm not sure if this is something I need to deal with in the shapefile or in Infowater.

Any help is appreciated!

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Michael,

According to the help file The Import Network Tool appears to have been designed for specifically for SDE databases and may not work for shapefile importing,
    Import Network Tool Help (click if need larger image)

The good news is there are two other methods you can use for importing model data that are specifically setup to use shapefile data and should have no problem importing your data..

Method #1: Import Manager Tool
    • Found here: InfoWater Menu -> Exchange -> Import Manager
    • Press the F1 key for specific help on this tool when you are in the Import Manager pop-up window
    • 1st Tab Source and Options
      • Select the element type (junction, pipe, etc)
      • Select the graphic options (if available)
      • Select the import options (delimited data or shapefile are the most common), create new records or update existing records or both, and whether to update geometry
      • Lastly browse to the Source file

• Field Mapping
      • Set the Id field
      • Map all relevant fields

Data will be imported as noted.

Method #2 GIS Gateway Tool

• Found here: InfoWater Menu -> Exchange -> GIS Gateway
    • Press the F1 key for specific help on this tool when you are in the GIS Gateway pop-up window
    • Use the "Add" button to add a new import Cluster
    • Browse for the file to import in the GIS Data Source "..." button
    • Select the table to join to in InfoWater Data Source "TYPE"
    • In the GIS gateway a cluster can only be a create new records or update existing records cluster one at a time so choose which is best for that cluster.
    • Most people use a tabular join
    • Select the model ID in the tabular join field at the bottom and map the fields as desired in the field mapping.
    • You run a GIS cluster by loading it.
    • Here is a link to a couple YouTube videos that give an overview of the GIS Gateway that might help

We hope this helps you complete your import. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Patrick Moore

Thank you, Patrick. It looks like the GIS Gateway Tool is what I was looking for.