Thread: Domain Manager & Selection Sets

Domain Manager & Selection Sets

Hi,
    I've been asked to define a few areas in my model so when a request is made the area can quickly be identified. Seems like selections sets through the domain manager is the way to go. My questions is, can you run an InfoSWMM simulation on the selection set only? For example if I created a selection set of our complete North End Trunk sewer how can I run my model just on those selected elements?

Appreciate the help. Open to other solutions if this can be handled differently or better.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Innovyze Employee

Hello Shawn,
    You can use the facility manager of InfoSWMM to make active ONLY your selection set - this means that only the active elements will be simulated. It allows you to make a smaller model for the simulation.
    Regards,
    Robert Dickinson

2016-05-11_2138.png

Thanks Robert for the help. Very much appreciated!

Shawn

Hi Robert,
    Another question regarding Facility Manager. I'm able to make 'only' my selection set active to run a smaller model, turning everything outside the selection grey or inactive. The problem I have is after running the simulation I want to return or restore the model to it's previous state having key elements on and having other elements off (inactive). I tired the obvious, clicking on the 'restore' button without any luck! Is there something I'm missing to restore the model after a selection set is made active?

Thanks for the help,
    Shawn

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Shawn,

To reactivate all elements you simply need to use the "Activate all" button on the Facility Manager popup window. This would make all elements active again.

Generally the easiest way to manage what is active in model scenarios is to use a specific user defined field and to create queries (You would generally need one for each model element type) and a query set that selects each of the individual queries you created. The Query set runs all of the individual queries associated with it and saves time when you want to run a group of queries all at once. The selection set method is somewhat similar, in that it selects a group of elements regardless of what type of element they are, but it simply includes a list of all elements added to it and is not based on a specific set of queries.

If you have query sets set up (or even selection sets) for different groups you can use the Facility manager to make different groups active or inactive. Typically one of the easiest ways to do that is to use the "Replace" button on the Facility manager to switch between items that are active so that it completely replaces what is active.

Query sets can also be used to define what is active in a particular scenario in the facility tab of the scenario manager such that you can just switch scenarios and have different elements active based on the query sets. Using the Intelli-Selection feature allows you to use the facility manager to define the active elements in that scenario. When you return to that scenario it will remember what you had active the last time and make that active again. Either of these two options can give you additional ways of switching what is active that you may not have known before
    (click for a larger image)
    scenario manager-query and intelliselect.jpg

--> Don't forget a handy tip: If you ever need contextual help in any popup window just hit the "F1" key and specific help for that window will be shown.

Other notes:
    You can add a user defined field in the database tables for each element type under the Element Information Data tables
    (click if need larger image)
    InfoSWMM- Information Tables.jpg

To add a field simply click the button shown for fields and display aliases , then select insert and select the type of field (string, number, etc) and its parameters and name it. hit OK twice and it will add this field to the table. Do this for each element type to add a field to use to query on.
    (click for larger image if necessary)
    infoSWMM - Adding user defined fields.jpg