Thread: Pump Instability

Pump Instability

Hello all—

Running Infoworks WS with either the built-in pump controls or UPC, we have issues with "chatter". For example, I have a booster station, upstream are pumps and downsteam is a tank with a PSV and float valve. At 1 minute timesteps, my downstream pressure will fluctuate from 75 psi to 205 psi for an hour of model time and then slowly reduce to 75 psi to 120 psi.

I'm not sure what's causing this? I suspect transients. Is there a way I can check to see which object is cause the problem? or is there a way to diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Hi Craig,

I forwarded on your questions to other members of our support team more knowledgeable in InfoWorks WS and here are their initial thoughts on this issue.

• It appears the pump being used is too big for this purpose. This appears to be a potential cause of the "chatter". You may wish to verify that the pump as modeled is consistent with the pump used in the real system (does the real world pump have this issue as well?) or that all of the pump characteristics are were inputted correctly for this pump, or if possible consider using a smaller pump more suited to this purpose.
    • Can you verify if the PSV is closing against the pump causing the high pressures?
    • If you need further support and cannot find the cause of the problem, please send a copy of your network to the Support inbox (support@innovyze.com ) and we can investigate further.

Thank you.

Patrick Moore