Thread: H2ONET: Modeling a constant flow pump for a higher pressure zone

H2ONET: Modeling a constant flow pump for a higher pressure zone

I am modeling a city water system using H2ONET v10 and I need to have a pump that runs at a specified flow (it is currently netting me a -457 ft of pressure head and all of my nodes are around -10k psi). I am using a pump curve for a booster pump that runs in a very narrow range (12-18 GPM) with a net pressure head between 100 and 200 psi. What can I do to model this type of pump?

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Tom,

Since H2ONET V10 is an older version, you may not have access to the Variable speed pumping tool that is in the latest version of H20NET 13.0. This tool can control a pump based on a set flow rate and could be exactly what you are looking for.

If you don't have the ability to update due to either you AutoCAD version (Version 13.0 is for AutoCAD 2014-2015) you could consider putting a FCV on the discharge of the pump station and letting that restrict the pump flow to your specified flow. I have done that in the past before the Variable speed tool was implemented. This may be the only way you can control the pump based on a specified flow if you don't have access to the tool due to the version of H2ONET you are using.

The current latest version is 13.0 SP1 for ACAD 2014-2105 but H2ONET 10.0 SP3 is the latest version if you are on AutoCAD 2010-2012. Unfortunately with this later version you don't have access to the feature improvements like the improvements made in versions 11, 12 and 13 which include significant improvements to the Variable speed pumping tool and the fireflow analysis tools. If you have the ability to upgrade you could model this pump using the variable speed pumping tool with the control set to flow control.

If it would help you further please consider contacting us at support@innovyze.com and we can set up a quick WebEx session or have you send over your model to assist you in finding a way that works best for your situation.

Pat Moore