Thread: one or more layers failed to draw: Arcmap error

one or more layers failed to draw: Arcmap error

Hi. Just want to know how to resolve the error “one or more layers failed to draw”, when I want to show pressure output gradient on infowater model. It seems that the error only appears whenever i try to zoom to inactive nodes? can you enlighten me on how to solve this issue?
    please refer to the attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

The most likely cause of this error is that you had the layer tables joined and then color coded using the map display and then switched scenarios. What ArcGIS is saying is that it can't find the field used in the map display to draw the layers properly. When you switch scenarios or run a different type of scenario the join layer tables will get turned off by the software because of limitations of joining tables in ArcGIS. This happens because joining tables in ArcGIS is static and when changing run types there are different output fields, so the model automatically removes the join so that there is not confusion in the joined table data to the current model output. The map display feature uses this type of feature to join input and output data to the model layers so that it can take advantage of the Symbology features in ArcGIS. But if something causes the data tables to get un-joined like switching a scenario or running a different type of run (standard vs. fireflow for example) the map display can try to draw layers a certain way but the data fields it uses are not available. In your example it appears a junction field appears color coded and wants a field that is no longer available.

Try rejoining running this scenario and rejoining the layer tables. If all else fails reset the display using the reset display Icon (looks like a yellow painters pallet with an arrow on top of it) and that usually clears the error. This will usually reset the error.

Pat Moore

Thanks Pat for your reply but it seems that the problem still persists even after joining layers and simulating. It does clears the message after reset display but when i zoom on to inactive elements it reappears. Let me know if there are any other possible solutions for this error. Thanks you once again for your prompt reply.

Regards
    Saurabh

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

Saurabh,

Do you have inactive elements that were labeled in another scenario? If that is the case you may simply need to clear the map display and rerun it for the current scenario so that previously listed elements that had data in one scenario (as active elements) but have no data in the current scenario (as inactive) are not trying to be labeled. It sounds like that may be the case based on what you are describing.

Pat