Thread: Closed harbour as downstream boundary in ICM

Closed harbour as downstream boundary in ICM

Hi

I have a fluvial model that has a closed (lock gates) harbour at the downstream boundary and I am looking for the best way to represent this in ICM. The fluvial reach discharges into a long conduit which in turn discharges into the harbour.

My problem is that, as the event progresses the water level in the harbour increases so I cannot apply a level boundary. When the harbour level reaches a certain value I want the model to begin to discharge water out through an overflow conduit. The conduit level is therefore much above the initial harbour water level.

I am using the storage node to represent the increase in volume in the harbour throughout the simulation.

Simplistically the model would look like:

River reach >>> conduit >>> storage node >>> overflow conduit (with flap valve) >>> outfall

I am having trouble getting the initial conditions correct as the model initializes based on the water levels in the reach upstream. Thus the water level in the storage node is much too high.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Hi Doug,

Have you seen the following blog:-

http://blog.innovyze.com/2014/02/20/tanks/

Alternatively, you can also use the Initial Conditions 1D objects to overwrite the initialised value as introduced into the software from version 5.

Cheers,

Duncan

Thanks Duncan.

Most helpful.

Doug