Thread: Selecting GIS layer

Unhappy Selecting GIS layer

How come I can't interrogate GIS layers in ICM 5.0.3? I'm using MapXtreme, and the layers are "selectable" so I should be able to - I can display text values for the layers, but not view layer data, or edit it if the layer is marked "editable".

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

The response to this, as provided to Kristian directly, is that the 64 Bit UI does not currently supported the 3rd part Map Controls as specified in the release notes for version 5 and 5.5.

Duncan also told me that there is no real benefit in using the 64 bit version unless you have more than around 5.5million mesh elements. Well worth knowing - I'll stick to the 32 bit version until I get another really big model.

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Correct.

Just to flesh out the detail, in IWCS and IWRS the meshing was done in the UI which was a 32 Bit application. This means the amount of memory that could be used was limited...as a result, regardless of the available memory, the application could only create meshes of about 1/2 million elements. In ICM, it is possible to do the meshing outside of the UI on the simulation agent. When this is done it was possible to create much larger meshes. However, there was then a limitation loading very big meshes back into the UI (which until version 5 was always 32 bit), it seemed to fall over around 5.5 million elements. With the 64 Bit UI available from version 5, it is possible to create these mega meshes and then load them in the UI. The trick is now to find the sweet spot in terms of how many mesh elements can be run on particular systems with particular memory specifications and with particular GPU cards. My early tests suggest that a mesh of 17 million elements is beyond the capability of my laptop to simulate successfully-it ground to a halt meaning that I couldn't do anything else so had to be halted.