Thread: Dam/ Broad Crested Weir in InfoWorks RS

Post Dam/ Broad Crested Weir in InfoWorks RS

Hi,

I am currently doing a river simulation and modelling. One part of my work include testing the river behaviour before and after the construction of a dam to determine the flood occurrence, which means I have to come out with two river models. In the case after the dam is constructed,seems that there are water accumulating behind the dam after I have run the simulations. I have attached the image of the relevant case.

Dam.png

Supposingly, there should not be any water, or the water level should not be that high as overspills/ flood tend to occur. Thus, it there any possible alternatives to reduce the water level behind the dam/ weir?
    Last edited by yang92; September 19, 2014 at 05:06 AM.

These are my dam information.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.png

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Hi,

It's difficult to tell from your information but if you have a dam represented as a weir with any upstream inflow, then the passage of flow will be held up behind the weir leading to the increase of water level upstream as would happen in reality. The only way to avoid this is to either remove the inflow or allow a route for the flow to travel downstream.

Duncan

Hi,

Yup, I have consulted an InfoWorks RS professional who replied with the same solution as well. If that's the case, I will try to sort out the issue.

Thank you.