Thread: Querying nodes for data on connected links

Querying nodes for data on connected links

Hi all,

Is it possible to query nodes to return selected data from the links connected to it?

For example: a Tee is represented by a node with one u/s link and two d/s links. I want to return the nominal diameter (DN), material and pressure class (PN) of each link, preferably displaying a table/grid of the query result with the following headers...

node_id; x; y; us_link_DN; us_link_material; us_link_PN; ds_link_1_DN; ds_link_1_material; ds_link_1_PN; ds_link_2_DN: etc. etc.

...which I can then pass on to the detail design/CAD team to draw up a detail with the required fittings - i.e. tees, reducers, stub flanges, etc.

(This model is of course being used to design a new system, not analyse an existing one.)

Better yet would be to output the direction/bearing of each link so I can let the CAD team know where an elbow/bend might be required - but that would be a nice to have.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to responses.

Kieron

Forum Moderator

Innovyze Employee

Innovyze Employee

The basis of what you want to do can be done in this way, please only copy the SQL statements we cannot accept comments in SQL at present:

Here we are using a variable $tee to store a flag for the number of connections to the node
    UPDATE [Node] SET $tee = 1
    This “where” clause chooses nodes with >2 links so it will find 3 or more link junctions. Using =3 would find only Tees etc.
    WHERE (count (us_links.*) + count (ds_links.*) ) > 2;
    The “select” clause chooses the items for the downstream links table, additional pipe attributes can be added, separated by commas.
    SELECT ds_node.node_id, ds_node.x, ds_node.y, material from [All Links]
    This “where” clause specifies only links connected to the nodes selected above
    WHERE ds_node.$tee = 1;
    Likewise for upstream links
    SELECT us_node.node_id, us_node.x, us_node.y, material from [All Links]
    WHERE us_node.$tee = 1;

This process will produce a table for upstream links and a table for downstream links these can then be merged in a spreadsheet and sorted by node ID. No doubt with more time the full table could be created in SQL .

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron_T View Post
    Hi all,

Is it possible to query nodes to return selected data from the links connected to it?

For example: a Tee is represented by a node with one u/s link and two d/s links. I want to return the nominal diameter (DN), material and pressure class (PN) of each link, preferably displaying a table/grid of the query result with the following headers...

node_id; x; y; us_link_DN; us_link_material; us_link_PN; ds_link_1_DN; ds_link_1_material; ds_link_1_PN; ds_link_2_DN: etc. etc.

...which I can then pass on to the detail design/CAD team to draw up a detail with the required fittings - i.e. tees, reducers, stub flanges, etc.

(This model is of course being used to design a new system, not analyse an existing one.)

Better yet would be to output the direction/bearing of each link so I can let the CAD team know where an elbow/bend might be required - but that would be a nice to have.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to responses.

Kieron

Does pretty much exactly what I need - albeit with a little post processing, as you say. Many thanks Tom!
    Kieron