PDA

View Full Version : WQ simulations of sediment flow parameters with Infoworks ICM

nimmerzaman
October 21, 2013, 09:31 AM
Hi,
is there anyone who can help me with some basics of infoworks icm? I just need to run WQ simulation to get results for SF1 with an easy single catchment model, and then with more details about running simulations for a full network and looking at the buildup and washoff parameters. Hopefully someone patient enough to reply to my very simple questions :)

regards,

Nimmer

Robert Dickinson
October 21, 2013, 04:40 PM
Hello Nimmer,
Are you trying to model TSS or Sediment from the Catchments and then simulate deposition and erosion in your links? I am sure that you have seen this link by Andrew Walker on the Innovyze blog

http://blog.innovyze.com/2013/01/08/water-quality-options-in-infoworks-icm/

and this post by Duncan Kitts

http://blog.innovyze.com/2012/12/12/water-quality-in-infoworks-icm-non-conservative-pollutants/

Best,
Bob Dickinso

nimmerzaman
October 22, 2013, 03:45 AM
Hi Bob,
once again, thank you for all the quick help and advice.
for my initial model, i am trying to model SF1 only,as i want to look at the different transport processes of ackers white, KUL, and velikanov. for this i want to use a dry buildup period of 120 days, and simulate the model as a single catchment with one pipe and outlet, starting with default values for the main parameters of these transport models (d50 and specific gravity), and then running the simulations while varying these parameters to do a sensitivity analysis.
I do not think i need to model the BOD or COD fractions with it, but i will check that as i am not getting any values for just the SF1.
the rainfall event i have is a 2year60minute one, what duration should i be using for the simulation? 1 day or as per the event?

regards,

Nimmer

Duncan Kitts
October 25, 2013, 06:10 AM
Hi, You won't need to model COD or BOD to get SF1 results. Make sure you have the correct SF 1 Model option ticked in the QM parameters. Also, with sediment modelling the timestep should be lower than those runs for which undertake hydraulic analysis only (usually 15 seconds or less is required). I would guess giving your relatively simple model that you wion't need to run it for much longer than the rainfall duration, essentially the duration should be long enough that the rainfall induced runoff and sediment drains from the system.

nimmerzaman
October 25, 2013, 06:31 AM
Hi Duncan,

thanks for the reply. yes i did run the simulations for just the SF1 for both the ackees-white and velikanov models by varying the default values of d50 and specific gravity, i will then do a sensitivity analysis on these two conduit models. I was not able to do so for the KUL model as it requires extra parameters (alpha,beta,gamma for both erosion and deposition), and have been trying to find a range for them from literature but haven't been successful so far. I came across a study on a lumped info works model by Hermida et al. from the university of coruña and hopefully will get a reply from them soon.
as you said, this is a very simple model, and there was not too much of an issue. i will be working on a full network for both gravity and pressurised flow soon, and hopefully i can get a bit more help with that. i will write about that one in more detail soon, but for now just wondering if anyone has ever worked with or connected info works icm to simlab which is a pre and post processor program to carry out sensitivity and uncertainty analysis?
also, this was a simple catchment, and i only had to do about 14 simulations by varying the parameters, but for the next task i have to do 1000 simulations with the 5 parameter sets of buildup and wash off. so far i can see that i am able to change these values manually,one by one through the WQ parameters or surface pollutant editor and then create scenarios, is there a faster way to do that? and how many scenarios can one run at a time?

regards,

Nimmer

nimmerzaman
October 28, 2013, 05:16 AM
Hi,
has anyone worked with the KUL model for WQ simulations, i know ackers-white is the preferred one, but just wanted to run the simulations with the KUL conduit model, but i see for that you need to define 6 parameters, alpha,beta, gamma of erosion and deposition. any values or ranges available for that? i have been looking through previous works of Hermida et al,. and Shirazi et al,. but its not clear.