PDA

View Full Version : 2D road flood routing

Robert Fleck
July 24, 2013, 04:53 AM
I have a situation where the client wants to investigate re-shaping the camber of the road to route flooding away from properties. Does anyone know if it is possible or the best way of doing this? We have already depressed the road by 150mm to allow for "in kerb" storage but now need to re grade it. Thanks, Rob.

Kristian Ravnkilde
July 25, 2013, 04:05 AM
Hi Rob

There is no simple way to do this in either IWCS or ICM. You could depress the lower side a bit more to create a step rather than an actual camber (two adjacent mesh zones with different ground lowering), but to do it properly you will need to get a CAD drawing done with the proposed road levels, stitch it into the DTM and re-mesh. That could be a lot of work that the client may or may not want to pay for! It strikes me that it's unlikely to help much unless there's somewhere for the water to drain away to on the lower side that you can be sure it will reach by overland flow and won't be obstructed by kerbs etc. It's definitely a good solution if you can be sure it'll work, but you'd have to be careful not to create a danger to road users (excessive camber, especially if reverse).

Adam Cambridge
July 30, 2013, 02:01 AM
I agree with Kristian. I think the easiest way to create the road would be to define a series of points along the camber top, camber bottom, and along the road centre line. Import the points into InfoWorks and create a TIN for creating your mesh. Its what I did when i modelled my canoe/kayak course using ICM and it worked pretty well.