PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Common Forcemain Shared by Several Lift Stations

Extreme User
July 16, 2013, 04:07 PM
Can anyone tell me how to set up the model where several lift stations are connected to a shared forcemain with check valves? Will the infosewer program model this case?

Thanks!

Robert Dickinson
July 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hello Extreme,

You can do this easily in IWCS, ICM, InfoSWMM and H2OMAP SWMM but since you ask about InfoSewer I will mention the requirements for InfoSewer. The requirements are as followed:
1. A loading Manhole connected to a Gravity Main that feeds into a Wet Well or Lift Station,
2. Three types of pumps connecting the Lift Station to a Chamber Manhole,
3. Force Mains downstream from the Chamber Manhole
4. If you use the Advanced ForceMain Simulation Option in InfoSewer then you can have two or more forcemains joining together into a shared force main
5. You do not have to worry about a check valve as normally the forcemain flow is not reversed in InfoSewer
6. I hope this helps and if you need more help please contact us at support@innovyze.com

Thanks,
Bob Dickinson

Here is an example from InfoSewer

David Garcia
July 19, 2013, 08:36 PM
I have modeled several manifolded pressure systems like this, and I would highly recommend using at least CS for this task. Getting a manifolded system to initialize correctly and actually perform properly is a pretty difficult task and the options for forcemains in CS and ICM make it a little easier to dial in.

tyhopkin
November 5, 2014, 01:09 PM
Hello Extreme,

You can do this easily in IWCS, ICM, InfoSWMM and H2OMAP SWMM but since you ask about InfoSewer I will mention the requirements for InfoSewer. The requirements are as followed:
1. A loading Manhole connected to a Gravity Main that feeds into a Wet Well or Lift Station,
2. Three types of pumps connecting the Lift Station to a Chamber Manhole,
3. Force Mains downstream from the Chamber Manhole
4. If you use the Advanced ForceMain Simulation Option in InfoSewer then you can have two or more forcemains joining together into a shared force main
5. You do not have to worry about a check valve as normally the forcemain flow is not reversed in InfoSewer
6. I hope this helps and if you need more help please contact us at support@innovyze.com

Thanks,
Bob Dickinson

Here is an example from InfoSewer

I'm using H20Map Sewer, does this apply as well? I can't seem to get multiple force mains connecting to work properly. The opposite appears to be taking place. Pump performance is increasing, while headlosses are going down when both of my lift stations are pumping.

Robert Dickinson
November 6, 2014, 01:22 AM
I'm using H20Map Sewer, does this apply as well? I can't seem to get multiple force mains connecting to work properly. The opposite appears to be taking place. Pump performance is increasing, while headlosses are going down when both of my lift stations are pumping.

Hello Tyler,

You are getting negative pump flows and negative force main flows due to pump 5010

Warning: Negative Pump Flow is needed to Reach Hydraulic Balance at Simulation Time: 5.16 hour for Pump 5010

The flows look like this in the force main, If you switch to a constant capacity pump for 5010 the flows look like the image shown below. There is no way to simulate a check valve in InfoSewer. However, I think the change to pump 5010 will also help your two upstream pumps.

I hope this helps,
Regards,
Robert Dickinson