PDA

View Full Version : Common results folder

DCJ
January 19, 2017, 03:25 PM
Is there a disadvantage to having a common results folder for several users? For example, if John, Jane, and Jim store their simulation results in d:/ICM/Results/ instead of d:/ICM/Results/John/ ... and so on. Are there any negative impacts?

Kristian Ravnkilde
January 23, 2017, 01:37 AM
None that I can see. have you considered using a workgroup database? Ideal for multiple users.

DCJ
January 23, 2017, 02:27 PM
Thanks. We have discussed using a common results folder for a while now. I just moved our database to a workgroup database (ironically, that's the reason for also changing results folders). We have had some issues with multiple users writing to the same network so hopefully this will help. I migrated us over to workgroup last week and my first though was "Wow!! Read/Write is so much faster" then IT called me freaking out because their super-fancy SSDs were almost full... oops. For some reason, it defaults to c:\. I plan to RTM this week and try again.

Duncan Kitts
January 24, 2017, 01:17 AM
Setup a remote results folder, these are designed to store results on a server with access by multiple users.