PDA

View Full Version : Valve Import Clarification

BMTaylor
January 5, 2017, 07:43 AM
When importing valves into my model, I cannot find a way to import them as closed. I have a field in my geodatabase for the feature class that states whether it is open normally (True/False), but in the GIS exchange cluster field mapping tab I do not see a field on the InfoWater VALVEHYD side that dictates open/closed for the imported valve.

I would like to be able to directly import closed valves as closed and not need to manually change them in InfoWater.

Patrick Moore
January 6, 2017, 04:58 PM
Benjamin,

Thank you for posting your question. All valves are imported as elements and are then assigned a type and initial status and or control statements to control their behavior as this is how EPANET models valves. There unfortunately is not a specific valve type that is a "closed" valve that you could import to that would directly do that.

However, you can access the Initial Node Status table in a GIS cluster and set the initial status of all valves that are "closed" as "Status = Closed" so that you could still fairly automate the process. You will need to set up a cluster and have the fields in the GIS set up so that it can import the closed setting as needed in the model, which may require you to create a separate table somewhere that can do this for you. We would recommend that you actually assign these valves as having a closed initial status to ensure that they always remain closed. The actual Valve type used is not necessarily critical as most model valve types would work for this case, but quite often people use either a Throttle Control Valve or a Flow Control Valve set to a setting of zero to represent closed valves.

Note: In a GIS exchange the format for the Setting field needs to be as the data is stored in the raw table. Closed valves would have an integer field and would use a 0 for closed, 1 for Open, 2 for a setting, and 3 for none. If you edit them in the actual DB Table for initial status they would need to be in the form 0:Closed, 1: Open, 2: Setting, or 3: None. Just be aware of that when using the GIS exchange vs. the DB Table itself. Another option you can do is to make a table just like the initial status table in Excel and then add rows to the initial status table and copy form the excel file directly into the DB table if that is easier for you.

Example Initial Node Status table (click if need larger image)
One last option you have is to use a field in the valve layer such as a new user defined field called VSTATUS (STATUS itself is used by the program so just add a V to note valve status) that notes closed valves. once you query those you can group assign initial status to a domain using the "Group Edit" function (looks like a pencil in front of a red satchel) This can with just a couple of easy clicks assign a valve initial status to all valves in the domain. As long as you can put all your closed valves in the domain this tool makes assigning them as closed easier.

Group Edit (click if need larger image)

these are three separate ways once can help to more easily "automate" closed valve assignment in the model. Choose what works best for you.

Best to you in your modeling efforts. Please let us know if you have any additional questions on this matter.

Patrick Moore