PDA

View Full Version : River Confluence

CH2M_Latin
May 9, 2016, 07:23 AM
I’m working on a river modelling (the same project than Fernando and Andres are working) and the following issue arisen.
I wanted to know how a confluence between two water courses are schematized in ICM. Please note that for this project we don’t have any DTM available and the only information we have are the cross sections surveyed. Below, I’ll detail the different procedures I’ve follow and the problems found.
First, in order to schematize the junction I’ve replicated downstream and upstream respectively sections S75_d, S84_d and S76 as we didn’t have any survey at the junction.
[see image_1]

Then, I’ve created the river reaches
[see image_2]

The problem found with this procedure is that it seems that a gap between the river reaches is generated. See longitudinal profile below.
[see image_3]

Could you please let us know if this procedure is correct? In that case, why the gap is generated and how we can solve it?
I’ve also tried snapping the three cross sections at the junction node. For this case, when the river reach is generated, all the three cross sections are included, even when only one section has been selected. See Figure below.
[see image_4]

Finally, I’ve also tried including three nodes (one for each cross section at the junction) but I think that option is not allowed by the software.
[see image_5]

THANKS!!!!

Patrick Moore
May 9, 2016, 07:28 AM
Hi Andres,

I think this may get a better response in the Wastewater forum as most of the questions in the Water forum are for pressurized flow in pipes. Would you be OK if I had this thread moved there for you?

Patrick Moore

CH2M_Latin
May 9, 2016, 07:34 AM
Yes, sure, if you can help me by doing it I would be glad!,

Thanks!!!

Patrick Moore
May 9, 2016, 12:55 PM
Hi Andres,

Innovyze has several Youtube videos specifically on ICM that may be of assistance to you.

here are a few suggested by our team that may be of assistance as a starting point:

Creating a River Reach in InfoWorks ICM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hFrsBWLMB0

All of the Innovyze ICM videos available can be seen in this list may also help as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hFrsBWLMB0&list=PLPsufxdFIJyFT6Tvlu2DNPnmbBGW5qDrl

Patrick Moore

Rui Daniel Pina
May 11, 2016, 08:04 AM
To add information to the post from Patrick:
The profile can be edited under its properties and several options to display links length can be selected.
To reduce the gap in intersections of river reaches, you can edit the “Distance to the next XS” in the "River sections" window of the reach link.
Thanks!

Rui Daniel Pina