PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Inserting PRV Into Pipe

Steve Seitz
April 19, 2016, 07:31 AM
I am running ArcGIS 10.1, Infowater 11.5. I am trying to insert a new PRV into an existing pipe. The insertion works and I fill in all the pertinent data for the PRV, but when I open Run manager and click the Run button, I hear a "bonk" sound and nothing else happens. In order to see if I was doing something wrong, I built a small test model from scratch, then inserted a PRV and it worked fine. What does the "bonk" sound mean? Any tips on where I should look for the problem?

Patrick Moore
April 19, 2016, 09:34 AM
Steve,

That kind of sound usually indicates something is wrong and is usually accompanied with a pop up window or a message in the message board due to something that could cause a problem with the EPANET input file (EPANET is the hydraulic engine used by InfoWater). Since it worked fine in the test model, I suspect something happened with your main model during the insertion. Did you see any message in the message board when this occurs?

If you are not able to find a resolution using the information above, please drop us an email at support@innovyze.com and we can look into what occurred in more detail with you.

One last note, Version 11.5 is now a few versions out of date as well. As such, we would also recommend updating your software to the latest version, which as of today, is InfoWater Version 12.2 Update 1. There have been several product enhancements added in each of the 12.0, 12.1 and 12.2 versions released. Just be aware that due to some changes in where certain dlll files are stored upgrading to any version higher than 12.0 will require a one time full uninstall and reinstall of the software.

Here is a download link to get the full install file for the latest version of InfoWater (currently 12.2 Update 1) which is compatible with ArcGIS version 10.0-10.4
http://www.innovyze.com/updates/download/?loc=3&file=InfoWater122001.exe

If for some reason you desire to stay on version 11.5, we would recommend that you at least verify you are on the latest version of InfoWater 11.5 which was 11.5 Service Pack 1. Here is the update link to run to use the latest release of InfoWater 11.5 in case it is desired. http://www.innovyze.com/updates/download/?loc=3&file=InfoWaterUpgrade115100.exe

Patrick Moore

Steve Seitz
April 21, 2016, 04:22 AM
Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought to look at the Message Board. The problem was a duplicate ID for the new PRV and a pipe already in the model. It was a dumb mistake on my part, but I blame the software in part. After inserting the valve, the software asks for a Valve ID and presents one to accept. When i accepted it, it said there was already an element with that ID and presented another choice. After several rounds of this, one of the presented choices that I clicked "OK" on was accepted. Apparently it was only comparing IDs of valves. It would be better if it could check against all types of data elements, not just the ones like you are inserting.

Thanks for your help and promptness.

Patrick Moore
April 21, 2016, 07:39 AM
Steve,

Thanks for letting us know what the specific issue was. Generally when you get an ID warning like that (and especially if you experience this multiple times in a row), it is often best to stop the procedure and check on the ID's first so that your ID's you wish to use do not cause a conflict. Once you are sure what ID to use, then repeat the procedure and it should work fine as you noted in your sample model.

Generally in InfoWater any "node" element (junction, pump, valve, reservoir, and Tank) needs to have a unique ID in regards to any other Node type element but can share a common ID with a "link" element which in InfoWater is only pipe elements.

When the software detects a duplicate ID on insertion it should check all element types (and appeared to in Version 12.2 Update 1) and did on tests I ran inserting valves and junctions with duplicate ID's. If it finds you are trying to insert an element with a duplicate ID after you hit "OK" to the warning it suggests an ID for the new element based upon the ID settings set in the Preferences for that model in the ID and Description tab. See example below.

Example (click for larger image if necessary)

In the latest version of the software (currently 12.2 Update 1) it will not allow insertion of an element that has a duplicate ID of any other node type and it will suggest a surrogate ID based on the preferences set for the next ID of that type. If the ID it suggests is a duplicate (which can happen if the user set's the"next" ID to accidentally match an existing ID) it will simply once again note a conflict and suggest a new ID which is usually using the same rules for suggestion ID's which would be the next ID plus the interval noted.

However, If, as suggested above, you update to the latest version of the software this should be resolved as it appears InfoWater version 12.2 Update 1 is checking properly.

Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding this matter. We are always glad to be of assistance.

Patrick Moore