PDA

View Full Version : 2D Gullies

Will_Rust
September 28, 2015, 04:08 AM
An issue we frequently seem to come across is 2D gullies causing instability issues in ICM. Has anyone else had experience of this or has anyone found any solutions to improve their stability?

Cheers,
Will

Alistair Dalton
September 29, 2015, 01:06 AM
I haven't experienced issues from 2D gullies as such but a recent ICM model I was working on had a lot of convergence problems causing it to become unstable. I found that ticking the "Link 1D and 2D calculations at minor timestep" box in the 2D simulation parameters, which is unticked by default (see attached image), resolved all my stability issues so may be worth a try?

Duncan Kitts
September 29, 2015, 01:27 AM
In what way is it unstable? The first two things to check is that you're using a timestep of 10 seconds or less and, as Ali mentions, you ticked the option to link 1D and 2D calculations at minor timestep. This will limit the 1D instabilities manifesting themselves in the 1D-2D link.

Also, it might be worth checking that for a given head, the mesh element in which the 2D Gully resides, can store the equivalent volume to fulfil the H-Q relationship (ie, is it big enough).

Vijay Patil
October 29, 2015, 09:41 PM
As am new user of Infowork ICM Can anybody explain how to introduce Gullies in Storm Network?

ravi
July 4, 2016, 03:15 AM
As am new user of Infowork ICM Can anybody explain how to introduce Gullies in Storm Network?

Hi Vijay,

follow the path-if suppose you want to assign no. of gully as 4 (say), New nodes window-number of gullies-set to 4